Friday, July 29, 2016

Can't stop? Won't stop? Don't stop.

For all of u that see the pain behind the smiles; the hurt behind their laughter;
For those of u who are dangling helplessly on the thin line between "just friends" and "something more"; and those who are hopelessly stuck in the friend zone;
For those who are content to accept whatever portion of that special person that time, chance and providence has deemed fit to give to you, and still patiently love them all the same;

For those of you trying to figure out the way to say those heavy words, without creating a whirlwind of shakesparean drama in and around your delicate relationship...

I know. I understand. 
We wrote these poems on two separate occasions and they just seemed to have an uncanny connection, so I decided to share them here.
And by "we", I mean Nife "Panthera" Kujembola (a new friend who I feel like I've known forever), the lovely Jessica Pereomongu, and myself.

Poem 1
What do you see?

I see lines that caressed pains behind those eyes.
I see fear;
unfettered and without lies.

I see stories of hurt and shame; guilt and pain;
I see mountains of strife and hills of pent-up anger.
I see a wild river of emotions, ruthlessly dammed by a hard surface of control and easy smiling motions.

I see the deep emotions you try to disguise;
I see the loneliness and the feelings unexpressed.
I see the crushed hopes and dreams.
I see the scars of a terrible past..

I see the years wasted
on regrets
run old beautiful lines over your smile.
I see youth
war with wants;
beneath the hidden joy
that escapes with your resounding laughter.

I see a fire, low and smoldering;
easily overlooked but very much able to envelope and consume.
I see a fire, softly burning;
Seemingly timid but won't hesitate to enkindle and incinerate.

I see you
in a mirage of emptiness.
I see you
in a storm of hopelessness.

And it crushes my heart
to see you feel such pain.

Poem 2
There's a heavy downpour outside 
And we're stuck in my tiny apartment again;
Joking around yet cursing the rain.
Your hair is wet from the sprint down the street;
I want to say the words but I've got cold feet.

You jump in my bed and hide in the duvet;
Comfortable and carefree like you're in your home.
I stare at u in a transfixed, stupefied state;
I'm astonished my feelings for you don't show.

You grin at me from under the covers.
Your smile is warm but gives me shivers.
The fire in those dark eyes weaken my knees;
That silly, lopsided grin charms its way past my walls, and makes it difficult to breathe. 

My heart begins to race;
I stand up and begin to pace.
I walk to the window to watch the raindrops,
I see your face in every drop.
I groan quietly to myself
You are in "like" but I'm in love.

I know I'm playing a game I can't win,
You are my Best friend;
These feelings for you are like sin...
But that doesn't stop me from wanting to win. 

I know chances are fewer than few,
And my feelings must not show.
But somehow, I gotta let you know
That my insane heart can't let you go.‎

4 comments:

  1. Is it that time of the year? when we want to wrap ourselves in sheets and feel cheesy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looool!
      It just might be...
      Ain't u feeling the wind of love?
      Open ur windows bruh!

      Delete
  2. Am I touched to read this? You bet I am.
    Awe-inspiring.
    Thumb up

    ReplyDelete