Monday, July 11, 2016

A New Romance

Days like a blur,
Nights quick as a flicker;
It's like the notes in a slur,
My resolve's gettin weaker.

I use my devices late into the night;
Pour myself into social media.
I know I'm hiding, dodging this fight;
Choosing instead chats and trivia.


It's you I want; Never mind the rest.
I want to be with you right up 'til the end.
I'll ace the most dangerous and difficult tests,
If you'll once again be my friend.

In the shower, on my bed, and even when I walk the streets;
My mind is searching, my heart considering.
Every hour, day and night, you always hit this feat:
Your heart is loving, Your hands providing.

Teach me, guide me, help me find my way;
My flesh is weak but the spirit is willing.
Take me, break me, mold me like fresh clay;
The path seems bleak yet your word is enlightening.

------

I only just discovered my poetry. It's barely a few weeks old. As exciting as it is to tell stories and send a themed message in prose, I think poetry has a certain tinge of attitude to it; an essence that I can feel but can't seem to explain.

It has a life of its own. An awareness of its own existence and a prideful self-sufficiency. I think poetry demands that you let yourself go; that all you need is to have the picture or even just a semblance of it in your mind, and just let your ink do the talking.

I wrote this poem at 2am, not because of the popular notion that inspiration comes in the wee hours of the night (taking nothing away from that), but because I honestly couldn't go to sleep. It nagged its way to the surface.

You notice how we would rather put off doing something: fixing a situation, mending a relationship, organizing our finances; until it's the eleventh hour and the warning bells are ringing off the hook? Most people would rather coast in a euphoria of lethargy, stuck in the inertia of their own bad habits; till the situation falls apart, the relationship dies or they become dead-broke.

I don't want my life to go that way. Neither would I want such a fate to befall my relationships with loved ones, and God ranks as number one on that list.

I have found poetry and I hope she's willing to stay with me. Coz I know she won't be compelled. But I'll cajole and woo her the best I can and swoon her with my persuasive prowess, and I'll enjoy every minute of this imminent romance.


5 comments: