Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Aunt Berry

Denzel Bright is a three-year old ball of energy. My little nephew. He's the most mischievous kid I know. The last time I was with him, I left the house with a stinging face and some tiny injuries, courtesy of his penchant for playing rough.

His kid sister, Michelle, 1-year old and growing very quickly, is gingerly walking (or should I say crawling?) in her brother's footsteps. She's just as energetic and even more inquisitive. Did I mention how beautiful they are?
Yeah.
I mean magazine-cover type of beautiful.

My heart is broken for these kids' sake.
Their mum is gone.

Berry was snatched away by the cold hands of death in the early hours of today, the 15th of June, 2016.
How my cousin would explain to his kids that their mum is no more is what I can't even imagine.
How those kids would grow up without their mother sends a chill down my spine.

Denzel's mind is aware enough now to know as he grows up that his mum disappeared when he was 3, but Michelle...oh Michelle...she will never know her mum, unless by some miraculous twist of nature, some images and events are hard wired in her 1-year old brain.
And it's this realization that has sent daggers through my heart.


Aunt Berry...I didn't spend enough time with you. I wish I did. I wish we had time to talk about your dreams and your fantasies. I wish I knew enough about your wishes and desires, even if only to be able to mentally project and lyrically express what perfection would've looked like for you.

Aunt Berry...you went too soon. You won't get to see Denzel donned in his elementary school graduation gown. You won't see if Michelle would inherit your gap teeth and wide smile. You won't experience the crazy, exuberant years of their adolescence.

Aunt Berry...I'm stunned and sad. I wish I didn't give in to procrastination. I meant to call you last week. I really did. Your comment on my Facebook post warmed my heart. If only I knew that that would be our last correspondence.

Aunt Berry...I hope you're at peace. No, scratch that. I KNOW you're at peace. We'll meet again. And on that day, there would be no more tears and sadness.
But today...Today, we're teary-eyed. Today, we're sad.
Today, we're desperate for closure but it's not to be had.

Aunt Berry...you've left us. But not forever. Our trust is in God and in His Christ.
And in Christ, there is hope.
Hope of glory.
Godspeed Auntie...we love you, and we miss you already.



6 comments:

  1. This is so so so sad. I know that kid. I cant believe this such a sweet family. Its not fair. May she rest in perfect peace...

    ReplyDelete
  2. God gives and takes, He alone knows why it happened but it happened for a reason.we can only hope and pray that she's at peace and that her family will be consoled by that fact. Sleep on Berry

    ReplyDelete
  3. May her beautiful soul rest in perfect peace.

    ReplyDelete