Monday, June 6, 2016

Did You Live?

I got into an argument with my kid brother today...over my phone charger. It was really stupid. Long story short, he claimed the charger was his. And he was backing his argument impressively with facts (pulled out of thin air...lol).

I shouldn't have indulged him but I was having so much fun watching him argue, I just couldn't bring myself to stop the show.
I love that little knucklehead.
I need to say it more.

It's the little things that count later.
It's the silly things we'll remember.

The temper tantrums of your kid brother; your best friend's penchant of always carrying a comb; an ex's silly habits; the way your sister ALWAYS taps your butt when she passes behind you; the dimpled smile of a friend who passed away.
It's the little things that are important.
It's the silly things we shouldn't take for granted.

A few days ago, I saw Oge in my dream. We were at a wedding reception. She was part of the bridal train while I was in the wedding party of the groom. I have no idea who was getting married...lol.
She wore a pink dress, the top half sparkled with little embroidery stones while the silky bottom flowed to her feet.
I was dressed in a grey suit with a white cotton shirt.
We talked and talked and had a good time.

Each time she laughed, her dimples came alive on her smooth face. Her eyes, cat-like yet warm, shone with a charm only she could possess.
I accompanied her the entire time, almost desperately, like I knew I had to drink my fill of her presence before the whole thing faded like a mirage.
After I woke up, I refused to give in to the tears that welled up in my eyes. She's gone. Only her memories exist on this side of heaven now. I had no idea how much I cared for her until I got the horrible news. She was just a distant pretty girl I admired.

Life is short. Not so short for some but really short for others.
A 56-year old man passes on and they say, "Our ‎brother's life was cut short."
A 21-year old girl dies and they say, "Our sister's life was cut short."
It's all relative.

But one thing remains. No matter how it comes, death affects us all.
So while we're alive,‎ let's LIVE.
Let's ignore limiting dogmas and reach for the skies.
Let's LOVE.
Give to our friends and cherish our family. Lend a helping hand, celebrate anniversaries, cry with them and laugh too.
Let's MATTER.
Add value to them. Help them get better. Listen to their ideas and add your own two cents. Show up for them. Bring out the best in them. Only in doing so will the best come out of us.
Coz at the end, when life asks you, "Did you live? Did you love? Did you matter?", do you want to speculate? Or do you want to know for sure?

Ogechi Cherie Onyenze (my friend); Victor Ogbonna Ezenwoko (my boy Henry's uncle); Femi Troy Ogunmoroti (friend of so many friends), your memories live on. We love you.



16 comments:

  1. Its well. Thanks so much for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply wonderful... Their memories lives on

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah :)
    @Elyon I'm honored.
    @Flora thanks luv.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very emotional even doh I hate emotions... I'm learned. Good 1 boy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this book that documented the final hours of some popular people and things they said and did before they died. That book scared the hell out of me. The only advice the book gave was this..... "it's not the things we do in life that we regret on our deathbed, it is the things we do not."

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Chibuike, indeed bruh. Thanks for that.
    @Dolapo I appreciate ya.

    ReplyDelete
  7. U just brought tears to my eyes but I am not going to cry...tears for loved ones...for Oge whom I never expressed my true feelings to....for my uncle Victor whom I looked up to as my mentor and a big umbrella...my heart is broken...the loved ones are going....as I sat through the funeral service, listening to songs sang for him "open the gates of heaven so that Victor can enter" and "he will take you to heaven and give you rest".....I wept like a baby, not because I was hopeless but because I wasn't going to see him again at least not any time soon....To Oge, if I had a minute to tell you how I felt, I would tell you how beautiful you are and how much I admire and cherish you...To my uncle Victor, I would tell you how I looked up to you and how much I love you and how you are irreplaceable....And so henceforth, I will cherish all those who mean something to me and celebrate with them, share in their sadness and participate in their joy..Alas I have a faint smile after writing this....bitter sweet memories...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God Bless u, Henry. You'll see ur uncle again. And we'll see Oge too. And on that day, there'll be no more tears of sadness. For now bruh, let's LIVE. Thanks for this. I appreciate it greatly.

      Delete
  8. Wow!!! Never knew u were this good and also deep.. Every single word sunk deep into my skin cos m rili guilty of this.. Thanks so much dear for this wonderul piece. U're rili an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Sandra thank u!!
      It's my utmost pleasure. I'm honoured.

      Delete
  9. This is deep, very deep. Infact, i can find oil down there.
    .
    Just throwing shenanigans, being stupid is my way of avoiding confrontation with my emotions. And this piece was aimed at bringing out my emotions.
    .
    To my little Brother Suleiman, it's been 9 years now. I've missed you. i hope you're in a better place now. Where bliss pervades every corner of place. Would see you soon some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh...
      I'm sure he's at peace.
      Thanks for sharing, bro.

      Delete
  10. Am just speechless, its 8 months since Oge left us she was more than a friend to me she was a sweet heart, though I never missed opportunity to tell her that, how beautiful she was and how I loved her smiles I still felt it was not enough, I still felt she would be with us ..........may her soul continue to rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete