Monday, April 11, 2016

We're not Friends

"But then again...if we're not friends, someone else might love you too..."
This line from Ed Sheeran's "FRIENDS" is the reason many people get into relationships that end up in disaster.
It's why beautiful friendships are ruined.

This evening, I sat on my front porch, taking in the cool breeze and reading hilarious jokes on "Trailer Jam Show" on Twitter. It's this crazy account that shows epic clapbacks to people that tweet out of line.

As twilight gave way to darkness, the porch lights came on. They are halogen bulbs encased in these cute lamp covers that look like sunflowers in full bloom.
Why do these white lights always attract those flying ant thingies that come out during rainy seasons?
Even when there's no rain, white lights would pull flying insects out of their hiding places any day. It's like an addiction.

I ignored my phone for a bit and watched these crazed insects act like fans of rock stars, high on some Type-A crack cocaine, screaming and fighting each other just to get a touch, a brush of, or even a glimpse of their electric guitar-wielding, high-pitched voice-having, tattooed rock star idol.

"If only we could break through these barricades," they seemed to be saying, "we'd experience this spark of the gods that makes the light so awesome".
Why can't they just see the light, say "Wow, that's really cool. I like you", touch it once and then sit down one side and watch it shine in all its glory?
Tough luck.

Back to my comment about Ed Sheeran's song.
I think (and I'm no relationship expert...I could be wrong) young people are under the misguided belief that if you have a friend, and the two of you are... what's the term? "Catching feelings"...then y'all should get into a relationship. Many times, this thought is fueled by the fear that someone else could potentially love that person and then they'd sweep them away from you.
Not so.

I think if the friendship is real and true, even if someone starts coming around or even dates them, y'all will still have the special bond.
Take Ed's advice: "Friends should sleep in other beds...friends shouldn't kiss me like you do".
I think we should take a moment, hold our selfish and greedy emotions at bay, and do what I somehow wanted those flying ants to do: watch and appreciate the light of that amazing person as it shines in all its glory, instead of trying to prod it or have it all to ourselves.

Hey, flip this write-up to the end of the spectrum and you'll get what I think Ed is really saying in that song.
Sometimes, that person with whom you're "just friends" will love you more than any of your "friends" ever will.
In this case, no...you're not "friends".
Stop deluding yasef.
*sigh*...This is madness.

4 comments:

  1. You know what? I'm beginning to believe you were born for this. Or... Am I just stoned again?? Really nice cuz.

    ReplyDelete